frognme

"Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them" ribbit ...ribbit.......ribbit.......

Friday, November 16, 2007

Mama Baking Cakes- Part 2

- "Kueh Neng Ko of Life"
This is a continuation from blog entry - part 1 dated 17 Oct 2006..

I recieved a call from my home while I was in a meeting yesterday. Worried that it might be urgent, I left the meeting room to attend to the call. Aiya, it was Mama "reporting" to me that she baked Kueh Neng Ko" (鸡蛋糕 - some chinese sponge cake which is yellow in colour)and asked me not to buy bread for this morning breakfast ......hahaha, the "Queen" is at her favourite hobby again!!

When I reached home last evening, my "informer", Noime told me that the Kueh Neng Ko was a flop! Mama,being overly confident, went against the advice of Noime and put too much sugar! Thus, the Nueh Neng Ko was too sweet...Aiyoyo! Guess, her agaration failed this round, must be due to lack of practice..or she "scoop happy" and over scooped the sugar from the bag of 3kg sugar that I just bought last Sunday. I was pretty amused, listening to both Noime and Mama relating to me , what happened in the afternoon during the cake baking activity.

Of course, I would not pass up the chance to tease mama "bo ho jia , bo ho jia" (not delicious in Hokkein ) ( Mama is always quick to criticise both Noime's and my cooking )

This morning when I went to the kitchen for breakfast, I saw Mama and Noime "armed with a knife, spatula and the wok" (No worries lah, they were not at a duel.)

Mama, true to her spirit of determination and creativity, decided to "improvise" (or rather salvage) her Kueh Neng Ko by frying it with eggs..........The outcome, bravo!! delicious cake for breakfast!! The Kueh Neng Ko really tasted very good after it was fried with egg ......Come to think of it, it is actually- Kueh Neng Ko in "french toast" style!!



(check out my creation!!)


I am really proud of Mama!! She is someone who does not give up easily and uses her ingenuity to make things better (this Kueh Neng Ko episode is just one of the many examples)... I believe, if it were someone else, she would have discarded the super sweet Kueh Neng Ko....... I would aspire to learn from darling Mama.....(except her nagging!!!!!!hahaha). Hmm,I shall name the blog entry "Keuh Neng Ko of life"

2 Comments:

  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boy, would I love to get my hands on some of those "kway" that your Mom has successfully salvaged. Could never find any decent "kway" here in New Jersey. Yes, you've got to love your Mom's energy and determination, never left her despite the passing years.- Yan

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your mama so cute! She has the "never say die" attitude.... bravo....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home